Excellence Awards 2017
Nomination DEADLINE EXTENDED to 16th March 2017
ECIA NSW/ACT is committed to promoting and supporting the ECI sector and acknowledging the valuable role that ECI practitioners play in delivering outstanding practice and improving the lives of children with developmental delay and/or disability and their families.
The Excellence Awards aim to honour and recognise the outstanding achievements of the ECI sector that have contributed to the improvement of the lives of children with developmental delay and/or disability and their families.
Excellence Awards - Categories
The Excellence Award categories celebrate and acknowledge teams and organisations that demonstrate excellence, passion, vision and a commitment to assisting children with developmental delay and/or disability and their families to achieve their goals.
The following award categories are open for applications:
1. Outstanding family-centered and culturally responsive practice
Recognises early childhood intervention services/professionals/teams that have demonstrated outstanding family-centered practice through:
- Very strong partnerships with families, where family life, family priorities and choices, drive what happens in planning and intervention
- Highly responsive practice, which builds on family strengths and assists families to develop their own networks of resources – both informal and formal
- Outstanding efforts to provide welcoming and culturally inclusive environments, where all families are encouraged to participate in and contribute to children’s learning and development
- Extensive knowledge and deep respect for diversity, demonstrated through flexible services and supports that are responsive to each family’s cultural, ethnic, racial, language and socioeconomic characteristics.
2. Champions of Inclusion
Recognises early childhood intervention services/professionals/teams that have identified and implemented strategies to significantly improve inclusion for children with developmental delay and/or disability and their families:
- Sustained inclusive and participatory practice, recognising that every child regardless of their needs has the right to participate fully in their family and community life and to have the same choices, opportunities and experiences as other children
- Outstanding commitment to putting in place additional supports for the children to participate meaningfully in their families, community and early childhood settings
- The children supported feel accepted and have a real sense of belonging
- Exceptional dedication to promoting children’s inclusion through participation in their natural learning environments and daily routines, at home, in the community, and in early childhood settings
- Raise awareness and advocate for inclusion of children with developmental delay and/or disability and their families.
3. Excellent team around the child
Recognises early childhood intervention services/professionals/teams that have demonstrated outstanding collaborative and capacity building practice:
- Outstanding work relationship with families and professionals as a collaborative and integrated team around the child, communicating and sharing information, knowledge and skills, with one team member nominated as a key worker and main person working with the family
- Exceptional contribution to building the capacity of the child, family, professionals and community through coaching and collaborative team work.
4. Advancing practice
Recognises early childhood intervention services/professionals/teams that have demonstrated practice improvement and advancement through:
- Innovative intervention strategies that are grounded in research and sound clinical reasoning
- Demonstrated continuous improvement and high quality services based on the ECI key best practices
- Focus on the outcomes that parents want for their child and family in terms of participation in meaningful activities, and on identifying the skills needed to achieve these outcomes.
NB: These could be targeting one group or specifically individual children with developmental delay and/or disability and their families, but must have resulted in demonstrable/measured improvements in either access to services, outcomes for children and their families or the community.
Who can apply?
Nominations must be for a team or organisation in the early childhood intervention sector operating in NSW or ACT and includes: early childhood educators, special educators, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, audiologists, social workers, family support workers and psychologist.
Teams or organisations may self-nominate, however self-nominations must be supported by another service or organisation (could be an early invention service, an early childhood service, a community organisation or an advocacy body), and the nominee(s) must agree to be nominated.
Nominations for individuals will not be accepted. ECIA Members and Non Members are eligible to nominate. ECIA Members can nominate at no cost. Non ECIA Members are required to pay an application fee of $99 (including GST).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the early childhood intervention sector
- The nominated team or organisation must be operating from NSW or ACT (the team members could have different employers)
- Demonstrated commitment to children’s rights, inclusion of all children and the National Best Practice Guidelines
- Demonstrated outcomes focus
- Evidence of effectiveness of the said program/practice/initiative.
Important: The award winners will be required to submit a short video (up to 3 minutes) to showcase the program/practice/initiative they excel in. These videos will be played at the Awards ceremony to introduce each winner and will be published through various ECIA NSW/ACT’s communications.
The award winners will be announced at the Early Childhood Intervention Australia NSW/ACT 27th State Conference, 25th - 26th May 2017, at the Novotel Sydney Brighton Beach, Sydney.
Applications Open – Monday 14th November 2016
Applications Close – Monday 13th February 2017
Applications Extended – Thursday 16th March 2017
Shortlisted Finalists Contacted – Friday 7th April 2017
Award Ceremony – Thursday 25th May 2017
Click here to download the Nomination Form.
If you have any questions about completing your nomination form, difficulty submitting the form or any other questions, please contact Catalina Voroneanu, Inclusion coordinator on (02) 9873 2593, or email email@example.com.